Background

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Step One...

I did it!  I found the time to get myself out the door and actually go on a training run (as you can see by my new widget).  I was even strong enough to leave a squealing Katie back at home as I went.  I left her with her grandpa, he raised me, so he should be able to handle her, right?  It was two days after I had planned, but I did hit the pavement and it was for between 4-5 miles as planned.  Slow.  Completed.  I'm sure my speed will come back so long as I keep at it.  I've got a long way to go, but I've made the first step.  Again.

The run was good.  Hot at times, which is hard for me, but relatively cool through the whole run.  I wore my marathon shirt to remind myself that I could do it, yet again.  My thoughts were all over the place.  The most enjoyable ones were of the course at Walt Disney World, but I did also think again about Boston.  That's when I lost myself in the run.  I thought especially about the picture of the professional dancer who lost the lower half of one of her legs and she vows to dance again.  I thought about how she had the career I always wanted.  The career I had the talent for but never had the body.  I thought about how devastating it would be to me if I can't dance anymore.  I thought about her and kept running.  Maybe I was running for her then, or maybe I was just lost in the pavement.  It's been two weeks since Boston, but it feels like yesterday.  I wonder if there will be a day when I go out and don't think about it.    I came home and looked up Boston qualifying times and smiled.  At the pace that I completed my first marathon, I would have needed to be 75 years old to qualify.  Ha!  I'm slow.  But I am out there.  I just need to remind myself of that.  I then decided to look up how my friend did in Eugene.  He was running on a bum foot and he still finished in 3:13!  He is a Boston Qualifier for something like the 6th time.  I'll run for him too!  I'm beyond impressed with those who qualify, and I especially love those who are working harder now to qualify to run Boston and prove they will not be scared.

But I am back at step one...  Training begins again.

No comments:

Post a Comment