Background

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Social Media


Oh boy, I thought I understood the power of social media, but I guess I am still a novice.  I am beyond getting giddy every time I get a message that someone else wants to follow me on Twitter.  Up until last week I was a Twitter lurker.  I hardly ever tweeted and my purpose for being on the site was to follow what celebrities were up to.  Now I realize that it is a HUGE networking site.  How incredibly smart to get your name out there in the twitter-world for all to see.  I have found so many new people to follow who are interested in a very similar goal as mine.  Not to mention, they all blog too!  I have seen some of the most interesting and professional blogs that I can "borrow" ideas from to make my own better.  Some of my favorites so far have been: throughheatherslookingglass.com, MikeandtheMouse.com, and http://runwalkrepeat.blogspot.com/, as well as countless others!  I wouldn't know of any of these awesome blogs without Twitter.

Facebook is a whole other beast.  I thought I knew it well, but even I am finding ways to use it differently.  I now have a Facebook page that extends what my blog and Twitter accounts do.  Granted it's a work in progress at this time, but it will get there.  http://www.facebook.com/Debbiesrundisneychallenge

The mysteries to me are still instagram, flickr, and Klout.  If anyone can explain the purpose and how to use these social networking sites I would greatly appreciate it.  I get that instagram and flickr are similar.  They both have capabilities to make photo albums and spruce up your photos, but which one is better?  Why do I need both?  And what the heck is Klout all about?  My Klout score jumped to 30 this week, but I still have no idea what this means.  What does this get me?  The mystery continues...

There are so many others out there that I haven't even named, but I'm sure they are SUPER important too.   

2 comments:

  1. Flickr is a great service to use as a photo album online for all your photos (iPhone & digital camera). Instagram is social media photo sharing app where you can quickly upload and edit a photo & use hashtags, tweet, etc. I use both, mainly Flickr for nice pics that don't fit into the tiny Instagram square or that I just don't want to edit.
    Klout measures your social media "score" and then provides perks based on how influential you are.
    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it totally helps! I will be playing with both Flickr and Instagram in the weeks to come. Klout is making more sense, but I still don't understand how people give one another +K or to an organization. Maybe it's a phone versus online difference, I don't know. I still find it interesting.

    Jindy, I so appreciate you coming and checking out my blog. I absolutely love yours as well! (Plug for: http://flowerscroon.com/). How did you come up with your layout and background? I need to play with mine a bit, and I know I need to check out cutest blog on the block for ideas. I especially love your background for your Twitter profile! The retro Disneyland look is cool!

    Thanks again for the support!

    ReplyDelete