Background

Saturday, February 1, 2014

WDW Inaugural 10k - 1/10/14

Well, as they say in the theater, "crappy dress rehearsal, fantastic opening night!"  That was this 10k.  Oy!  Lucky for me it was the 10k that was rough to get through and not the full marathon, that would have been WAY worse!

I started the day with my usual up before my alarm worry that I wouldn't make it to the race and got another awesome parking spot!  The fact that I can't sleep before races was going to catch up to me since this was a four days in a row event.  The good news was that on this day I finally found the Team runDisney meet up group and was there for the picture and to meet new friends.  If you haven't joined any running groups or Disney support groups, I highly recommend it.  It is so great knowing you have a ton of virtual friends that are in it with you, and meeting them in person is fantastic.  I met a new friend, Meredith at this very 10k meet up, saw her again at the half, and now we have plans to hang out and do dinner a couple of times over Princess weekend.  This was probably the best part of my day (aside from the medal and being one step closer to Dopey status of course).  Seriously, making runDisney pals is the best!

The race started out kind of yucky for me.  I am not used to humidity where I run in the Pacific Northwest, and I'm sure Floridians would tell me it wasn't that bad.  However, any humidity is worse than none which is my normal thing.  I was sweating before the race even started.  Not to mention my stomach was upset.  I was so nervous considering the bad experience I had with my bowels my last half marathon in December, TMI, but I really didn't want that problem to occur here.  My frame of mind was all off, but into corral B I went.

The first half of the race was the most difficult because it was the most boring.  The first three miles were in the dark outside of Epcot with very little entertainment.  I had wished I had my music, but I was trying to be good and go without it.  All I could think about was how I needed something: one of my running buddies, tunes, a waterfall...  Something!  I said to myself it was okay to walk.  I had planned on taking Jeff Galloway's advice anyway, so here was my first chance.  It was a little eerie walking on a side road in the dark as faster runners passed by.  I was elated to finally turn that right corner and head past Test Track and into a side entrance to Epcot.  That had felt like the longest 3 miles of my life!  Over-dramatic?  Yes.

The last 3 were a breeze!  I was in Epcot and I had the excitement of a child back on my face.  I stopped several times as I rounded World Showcase and took pictures and videos of all the beautiful lights shining in the darkness.  We headed out to the Boardwalk and I thought of Matt and all the fun we had staying there two years ago for the marathon.  I stopped to take a video of it's beauty when I rounded the other side at the Beach Club Villas.  Then off I went again.  I didn't stop again until the finish.  My energy had come back just enough to get me back in the park and past Spaceship Earth. A finish line never looked so good, well at that moment, finish lines ALWAYS look good to me!  I collected my Minnie 10k medal and headed for the bottleneck line and the Dopey bracelet, but no bottle-neck...  no line!  Ha!  They had changed the system to channel us all through several shoots; it was so much better.  I took my second finisher picture grabbed my to go box and banana and headed for the car.  No hovering today, I was done.

The second greatest thing happened when I made it back to my families place.  Katie was still asleep!  I was able to shower and snooze a bit myself before my mommy duties were back in full swing.  Race 2 was done and so was I.  My nerves kicked in a bit, just how was I going to make it if it was going to be this hot tomorrow too?  Stay tuned to find out!

Some photos from the event...

Representing Team runDisney for the 10k!


I'm awesome at photos when I'm walking!  Ha!





Two medals acquired, four more to go!  With a new bib!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment